TRIGA PUSPATI REACTOR
TRIGA PUSPATI Reactor known as RTP is the only nuclear research reactor in Malaysia. The reactor starts its operation in 1982 and reached its first criticality on 28 June 1982. TRIGA stands for Training, Research, Isotope Production and General Atomic. Its compact core allows for a low critical mass and higher neutron fluxes while ensuring a high degree of safety.
RTP is a pool type reactor, where the reactor core sits at the bottom of a 7-metre high aluminium tank surrounded by a biological shield made of high density concrete. The reactor uses solid fuel elements in which the zirconium-hydride moderator is homogeneously combined with enriched uranium with 1MW thermal power. Demineralized water acts both as coolant and neutron moderator, while graphite acts as a reflector.
The reactor was designed to effectively implement the various fields of basic nuclear science and education. It incorporates facilities for advanced neutron and gamma radiation studies as well as for application, including Neutron Activation Analysis (NAA), Delayed Neutron Activation Analysis (DNA), radioisotope production for medical, industrial and agricultural purposes, Neutron Radiography and Small Angle Neutron Scattering (SANS).
EXPERIMENT FACILITIES AVAILABLE IN RTP
- Rotary Specimen Rack is used for activation analysis and isotope production (e.g. Iridium-192 for industry, Phosphorus-32 for agriculture, Iodine-131, Samarium-153 radiotherapy agents).
- Pneumatic Transfer System for the production of very short-lived radioisotopes.
- Central Thimble in the centre of the core provides space for irradiation of samples at the point of maximum flux.
- Beam Ports provide tubular penetrations through concrete shield and the reactor tank water, making beams of neutron and gamma radiation available for a variety of purposes.
- Neutron Radiography Facility (NuR2).
- Small Angle Neutron Scattering Facility (SANS) for the characterisation of materials on a nano scale.
APPLICATION OF RTP
Nuclear Research and Development
- Environmental Science
- Material Science
- Archaeology and Forensic Science
- Structural Studies of Materials Related to Metals, Ceramics, Polymers and Biology
- Life Science
- Geological Science
- Nuclear Materials
- Non-Destructive Testing
- MedicalDdiagnostic Studies
- Industrial and Agriculture Application
- Medical Therapeutic Studies
Education and Training
- Reactor Physics and Engineering
- Reactor Utilization
- Radiation Source
- Nuclear Safety
- Reactor Instrumentations
- Nuclear Materials
- Reactor Operations and Maintenance
SAFETY, SECURITY, SAFEGUARD
- Reactor Operation licensed by AELB ( https://www.aelb.gov.my)
- Governed by National Act and Regulations
- Adhere to IAEA ( www.iaea.org ) Code of Conduct on Safety of Research Reactors
- Internal Safety, Health and Environment Committee overseas reactor safety
- Only licensed reactor operator allowed to operate reactor
- Reactor site gazette under federal and state laws
- Security measures follow national and international requirements
- Malaysia party to Treaty on Non-Proliferation of Nuclear Weapons
- Nuclear Material under International and National Control
For further inquiries, please contact SISPA.